Sunday, May 19, 2013

Mixed Media

The other day I did one of my usual "scribed" designs on a circle of clay but the color needed a little boost so I pulled out the colored pencils and touched it up. After I colored it, I discovered that the waxy colored pencils buff up to a lovely satiny shine. So then I decided to make a design on plain white clay and color the whole design (I had already scribed the design in, covered it with Pearlex, cured it, and sanded off the Pearlex using my usual method. Shee how I covered a bead with the Pearlex: http://www.flickr.com/photos/artybecca/4925713644/in/set-72157624802328426/)

This was white clay underneath. All the color is from colored pencils.
I used Spectracolors. I don'think you can buy them anymore...
my set is a box of 100 I've had for 20 years.
Above and below is on white clay.



This one was made of colored colored clay and I added
colored pencil on top, then buffed it.

I used a coiled wire on the back as the loop for the choker wire. I baked the colored top first, then applied raw clay to the back and pressed the coil into it. I put a thin strip of clay inside the loop and pressed it into the coil to strengthen the bond. Then I trimmed the raw clay using the edge of the cured clay as my guide. I cured the whole shebang again, then colored and buffed it.

6 comments:

  1. So The Pencil becomes permanent after baking ??
    And holds up to the sanding !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE!!! I love the idea of using colored pencil on polymer. So many possibilities with this! Gorgeous beads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! The richness and subtlety of the colors are just so yummy! :)

    I have tried the colored pencil method but for some reason it's not working for me at all. The pencils barely leave any trace. I've used Faber Castell (24 years old or so, but they work perfectly on paper), so perhaps it is a special type of pencil I should be using?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi :) I have mentioned this article on blog. Hope thats ok. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shilpa,
    Absolutely it is okay!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails