Monday, March 14, 2011

Earthquake

The videos from Japan were terribly scary. All the cars, trees, boards and debris that were floating in the water...how many people were in those vehicles or structures and didn't have time to get out of the path of destruction? I saw one car going over the wall of water with its rear wiper going...some poor person was in that car. I can't imagine the fear of being in that situation. Rescuers picked up a man this evening floating on the roof of his house 9 miles out in the ocean among a bunch of debris.
Go look at these satellite images that show the damage. You can slide a bar across the pictures to show the exact same area before and after. A sample of one of them is below:



Look at the photo below...a box of square pastels? No...cargo containers! Each one is 40 feet long and weighs about 6,000 lbs. or more empty. The power of nature is awesome, and I don't mean that in a good way.



And now the nuclear reactor problems, as if the nature stuff wasn't bad enough. It's going to take a long time to rebuild. I can't do anything physically to help but I can donate so that's what I do, whenever there's a natural disaster somewhere.

2 comments:

  1. Things like this terrify me. I live right off the Chesapeake Bay -- lots of water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...I had not seen the bottom photo..at first glance I thought they were color pastel sticks.
    Had to look closely...how scary is that?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails